Thursday, February 28, 2008

How do I use Excel's IF function for simple look-ups?

The IF function is a versatile tool in Excel. You can use the IF function for simple lookups, such as returning certain numbers with specified text. Watch the demonstration below to see just how simple it is or scroll down for an overview. Example from John Walkenbach's Excel 2007 Bible.


In the Excel sheet below I have 10 student names in column A and their final marks in column B. To determine the grades in column C, I would type the following into cell C2:


=IF(B2>=50, "PASS", FAIL")



This tells Excel to return the text 'pass' if a student's mark is greater than or equal to 50, otherwise return a 'fail.' Once you have filled in the first cell with your formula, simply fill down the rest of the column.



Excel also allows you to nest IF functions to provide even more choices. In the table above, I have typed into cell c2:


=IF(B2<=49, "FAIL", IF(B2<=74, "GOOD", IF(B2<=84, "GREAT", IF(B2>84, "OUTSTANDING"))))

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,thank you guys so much for this lesson it has really help me and my boss.
my regards.